You "can" use barcodes with HPT but you must have the
print file setup correctly and the printer defined
properly. I'm not familar with Dell Printers so
I can't help with that.

Go here for "Dell Printers" and their options:

http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/7c4c0f5a4d52e3c4862569b4005d198a/7997c91965ada7fc86256d43005680a0?OpenDocument

Printer Device Programming (SC41-5713) is your bible
on most printer issues. The red books "Printing" 1-6 ??
are the rest of the story. These are VERY valuable books
to have.

Multiup requires AFP per the printing manual
although certain printers(3130 3195) supported
multiup with a "hardware" feature. Since the
Dell probably doesn't have a clue about multiup,
I suspect you are out of luck on that feature.

I also recall multiup requiring a duplex
printer.

Any of the following keywords "requires" AFP
which means HPT can't handle these functions.

 AFP characters (AFPCHARS)

   Back margin (BACKMGN)

   Back overlay (BACKOVL

   Coded font (CDEFNT)

   Corner staple (CORNERSTPL)

   Device type (*AFPDS, *LINE,
    *AFPDSLINE)

   Edge stitch (EDGESTITCH)

   Font character set (FNTCHRSET)

   Font resolution (FNTRSL)

   Front margin (FRONTMGN)

   Form definition (FORMDF)

   Front overlay (FRONTOVL)

   IPDS pass through
    (IPDSPASTHR(*YES|*NO))

   Multi-up (MULTIUP
    REDUCE(*NONE))

   Output bin (OUTBIN)

   Page definition (PAGDFN)

   Saddle stitch (SADLSTITCH)

   Table reference characters
    (TBLREFCHR)

   User-defined data (USRDFNDTA
    (IPDSPASTHR(*YES|*NO))

   User-defined data
    (USRDFNDTA(USRRCSLIBL (lib1
    lib2 lib3 lib4))

   User resource library list
    (USRRSCLLIBL)

Goodbar, Loyd (ETS - Water Valley) wrote:

I have an IBM 4312 printer I'd like to replace with a Dell M5200. Using the
recent "Help! Best Host Print Transform for Dell W5300 Printer" thread as a
guide, I have set up the Dell as a *LAN/3812 with host print transform and
using the *IBMPJLDRV system driver. Currently no workstation customizing
object, user defined object, or data transformation program.

I was under the impression I was able to print IPDS spooled files with
barcodes to this printer, but the system holds the file. Also, printing
reports with MULTIUP(2) doesn't; it prints spooled files as if the multiup()
were not specified.

Somewhere else I read I could use the barcodes if I recompiled the DDS using
spooled file type AFPDS. However, I can't seem to get the Dell printer to be
an AFP capable printer with a device class of *LAN and type 3812.

Is there a "simple" matrix of which spooled file types work with which
printer types?

I have two goals with the Dell printer: 1) Support printing of bar codes -
how? What's the proper non-IPDS setup for the printer? 2) Support printing
of regular spooled files with MULTIUP(2). Is this an IPDS-only function or
is this supported with HPT?