> REXEC TcpIp server is running.  The Windows service is running.  However
> when I issue the command from the iSeries all it does is just hang.  No
> timeout, no error message and no log entries in the QTRXC... jobs.

You don't need the REXEC server running on the iSeries, just the Windows
REXEC service.  The server on the iSeries is for submitting remote
commands from other machines to your iSeries.

> Can anyone suggest where I might look to track down my problem?  Is
> there logging on the PC?

Normally, the PC will report errors back to the iSeries, and the iSeries
will write them to a QSYSPRT spooled file.  Though, if you use the rexec()
API instead of RUNRMTCMD, you can have these errors returned to your
application.

I have a feeling that the server on the PC is hanging though, and since
it's hanging, it won't be able to send back a message.

I suspect that the reason that it's hanging would be that you're not
allowing the remote command to interact with the desktop -- and the
command you're sending is one that needs to.

to change that, go into the Windows Control Panel, select "Administrative
Tools" -> "Services". Right-click the "iSeries Access for Windows Remote
Command Service" and choose "properties".  Under the "Log On" tab, check
the "Allow service to interact with desktop" then click the "Apply"
button.  Back on the "General" tab, stop and restart the service.

If the service won't stop (because it's hanging!) then you may have to
restart the computer.

---
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com