Rick:

I started a reply to discuss MIME, but it gets messy fast for me. I can't think
of any thing better than (1) read RFC 1521 a few times and (2) download
something that does it for you.

In general, the whole thing started pretty much because you can't send anything
over SMTP except plain text. Of course, everybody wanted to send image files
and music files and everything _but_ plain text which caused no end of trouble
for e-mail and e-mail administrators and causes much (most?) of the problems
people have today.

MIME describes how to encode and decode files so that the SMTP servers never
see the binary values that make up image and music files. It describes how to
send multiple attachments of different kinds with a single e-mail item. It does
so in ways that allow e-mail clients to recognize which text characters in the
body of an e-mail are part of the 'message' and which are part of some encoded
attachment.

For you, it might be easy because you might never be interested in sending
anything but plain text attachments. In that case, the headers that mark the
beginning and end of each section will be pretty much the same in every e-mail.
You won't even need to do any encoding/decoding; it's already printable text.

Perhaps the easiest thing for you to do, if you've read the basic RFC, is
simply send a couple e-mails with plain text attachments from any client to
yourself and then save them to files when you receive them. Perhaps even send a
couple SNDDST messages with long-text to see the formatting it creates. Compare
them to each other in Notepad. The patterns should be evident.

Then use whatever you've downloaded back at the beginning of this, and expect
to spend a lot of spare-time hours playing with writing your own. The Easy400
stuff seems a good start to me.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta