Just some stuff to get attention and set blood to boiling.  But we
downgraded from 42 disk drives on an 820 to 7 on a 520 and got much better
performance.  I really think those new disk drives, combined with the new
disk controllers are a SMOKING combination!

We bought a 520 for development purposes.

I wanted to publish these earlier but I misplaced this document.

Here's the specs.  The time trials are at the bottom.  I have this in MS
Word if anyone wants it as an attachment.

i5/OS V5R3M0 and the new 520

The effects of upgrading an 820-24AA to a 520-7453 at Group Dekko
Services, LLC

âFromâ machine

Resource        Type-model              Text
CEC01           9404-820                Main Card Enclosure
PN01            247F                    System Control panel
MP01            25BC-0000               System Processor Card
PV02            2436-001                Processor Capacity Card
PV01            1523-001                Interactive Card
MS01            3002-000                128MB Main Storage Card
MS02            3002-000                128MB Main Storage Card
MS03            3002-000                128MB Main Storage Card
MS04            3002-000                128MB Main Storage Card
MS05            3005-000                512MB Main Storage Card
MS06            3005-000                512MB Main Storage Card
MS07            3004-000                256MB Main Storage Card
MS08            3004-000                256MB Main Storage Card

Tape card = 6534
Tape Drive = 3590E

Disk
6714âs             4
6718âs             4
6607âs            30
6719âs             4
Total             42

Single partition of i5/OS.

System Console:  Twinax

âToâ machine
Resource        Type-model              Text
CEC01           9406-520                Main Card Enclosure
PN01            28E5                    System Control Panel
MP01            522A                    System Processor Card
PV01            7453                    Processor Capacity Card
SP01            28D7                    Service Processor Card
MS01            30D3                    1024MB Main Storage Card
MS02            30D3                    1024MB Main Storage Card
MS03            30D3                    1024MB Main Storage Card
MS04            30D3                    1024MB Main Storage Card

Tape card = 2749
Tape drive = 3590E

Disk
4327âs      7
Total       7

Two partitions of i5/OS.  A vast bulk of the equipment is in the first
partition.  Nothing has been done with the second partition except loading
i5/OS.

System Console:  Hardware Management Console, or HMC.

Application Base
Roughly 11 developers primarily developing primarily traditional RPG
applications using a mix of 5250 and C/S based development tools.
Three Domino servers used for testing and development.
Some minor training of applications.

Conversion process

An unload/reload from the old machine to the new machine was completed
using the âBackup and Recovery Guideâ â Appendix D âRecovering your
server
to a different serverâ.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/ic2924/info/rzaiu/sc415304.pdf

Time trial #1:  Time to do a complete system save

Both systems used the same 3590E tape drive.

Broke down GO SAVE 21 by itâs components.

To save all 2009 libraries on the 820 took 6 hours and 29 minutes.
To save all 2009 libraries on the 520 took 3 hours.

To save all 17,875 DLOâs on the 820 took 5 minutes.
To save all 17,875 DLOâs on the 520 took 3 minutes.

To save 161,969 IFS objects on the 820 took 57 minutes.
To save 162,033 IFS objects on the 520 took 29 minutes.

Donât know if it:
1)      was the difference between the 6534 and the 2749 card
2)      the way we have them configured (do we have the tape card on the
520 not sharing a processor with disk and not the same on the 820?)
3)      or the difference between the 520 and the 820

Time trial #2:  Time to do a reclaim storage, or RCLSTG

Traditionally the RCLSTG on the 820 took between 13 and 14 hours.  And we
run it every 8 weeks.
The RCLSTG on the 520 took 6 hours and 30 minutes.

Time trial #3:  Time to do nightly save

Doing the nightly backup on the 820 using the 6534 card and the 3590E
varied between 8.5 to 9 hours.

Doing the nightly backup on the 520 using the 2749 card and the 3590E only
took 3.5 hours.

Time trial #4:  Applications
Actually our compiles and other applications werenât running bad.  When
doing training, etc., we were occasionally hitting the wall in interactive
processing.

But just for you, we tried a SSA-BPCS period end close.  Just to refresh
your memory, we did the unload/reload and ran the period end close on both
machines, with identical data.

On the 820 it took
POC512  13 seconds
INV900  3 hours, 8 minutes and 57 seconds
Reorg ITH       24 minutes and 43 seconds
Total           3 hours, 33 minutes and 53 seconds

On the 520 it took
POC512   6 seconds
INV900  50 minutes and 16 seconds
Reorg ITH       12 minutes and 29 seconds
Total           50 minutes and 21 seconds

(PS:  The 820 was committed to a single user machine because all external
cables to the lan, etc., were moved over to the 520.  Leaving only the
twinax console.  The 820 was NOT in a restricted state however.  The three
Domino servers and other tasks were running.  The 520 was running in
normal mode in the middle of the day with programmers banging out code,
and me using the Domino for my email, etc.)

Benefits of upgrade:
       Dropped from a P30 to a P10 resulting in lower software
maintenance costs.
       Faster speeds
       Less downtime due to backup
       Lower hardware maintenance costs
       Smaller footprint.  Replaced a system unit, expansion unit, twinax
terminal, and rack for the 3590 with a single rack that contained all of
the following:  system unit, expansion unit, HMC, 3582-LTO, and moreâ

Later upgrades performed and their results
Replaced 2749 card and 3590E tape drive with a 5704 fiber card attached to
a 3582 LTO2 tape drive via a 2109-F16 fiber tape switch.
Results:
Nightly save on the new 520 dropped from 3 hours 27 minutes down to 3
hours and 7 minutes.  (On other processor combinations our tests have
shown that the switch from the 3590E to the 3582 LTO-2 had a much greater
impact.  Actual comparison data available upon request.  See also:
http://archive.midrange.com/domino400/200404/msg00001.html
)

Comments from the team here:

I noticed the HTTP server administration screen worked a lot faster!
(T.M.)

Compiles, Softlandingâs TurnOver promotions, and WDSC server side tasks
(such as opening a member) all run faster. (D.S.)

WRKOBJ was much faster, especially noticeable when run over *ALL
libraries, *ALL object types, and for a generic object name.  (D.M.)

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108