I did a little (unscientific) experiment here are the results:

I created 2 source tables and 1 result table:
CREATE TABLE JSPTSTB(BKEY1 NUMERIC (9 , 0) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
BKEY2 NUMERIC (9 , 0) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT, BDATA CHAR (50 ) NOT
NULL WITH DEFAULT, PRIMARY KEY (BKEY1, BKEY2))

CREATE TABLE JSPTSTA(AKEY1 NUMERIC ( 9, 0) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT,
ADATA CHAR ( 50) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT, PRIMARY KEY (AKEY1))

CREATE TABLE IDTMP(NMID NUMERIC (9 , 0) NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT)

I inserted 281961 rows (from a production file) into the primary table
insert into JSPTSTA
select c1nmid, c1job from nammsp

I inserted 5 x 281961 rows into the secondary table
insert into JSPTSTB
select c1nmid, 1, c1job || c1usr from nammsp
insert into JSPTSTB
select c1nmid, 2, c1job || c1usr from nammsp
insert into JSPTSTB
select c1nmid, 3, c1job || c1usr from nammsp
insert into JSPTSTB
select c1nmid, 4, c1job || c1usr from nammsp
insert into JSPTSTB
select c1nmid, 5, c1job || c1usr from nammsp

I created the following index:
CREATE INDEX JSPTSTBI1 ON JEHIMES/JSPTSTB (BKEY2)

I ran the following queries (V5R2 825 1 proccessor LPAR with 2 Gig RAM):

A:
insert into idtmp
select t1.Bkey1 from
jsptsta join jsptstb as t1 on akey1=t1.bkey1 and t1.bkey2 = 3
left join jsptstb as t2 on akey1=t2.bkey1 and t2.bkey2 = 2

B:
insert into idtmp
select t1.Bkey1 from
jsptsta , jsptstb as t1, jsptstb as t2
where akey1=t1.bkey1 and t1.bkey2 = 3 and
(t2.bkey1=akey1 or t2.bkey1 is null)
 and (t2.bkey2=2 or t2.bkey2 is null

Each run was in a separate submitted job
Run 1:
        B: 20 sec