Firstly, may I say hi to everybody as I'm new to this mailing list, despite
having been an AS/400 sysadmin for 11 years - not sure why it took me so
long to find it!

Mike,

You can use the QMHLSTM API to retrieve a list of messages from a message
queue into a user space.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/info/apis/QMHLSTM.HTM

One of the parameters is 'selection criteria' for which you can specify *MNR
to return a list of unanswered inquiry messages only. You could then process
the results in the user space to verify whether the job associated with any
unanswered message is actually still active or not (using the QUSRJOBI API).

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/info/apis/qusrjobi.htm

The links are from the V5R1 infocenter, but these APIs should be largely the
same for any release as I've been using them for this sort of thing since
'95.

You will probably find the first API will take a few attempts to get the
parameters right ;-)

Alternatively, you might be able to use the QUSLJOB list jobs API to work
out which active jobs are in MSGW, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to
easily distinguish between those waiting on an inquiry message and those
waiting on a RCVMSG...

Regards,

Mark.