All right, starting to get somewhere.  Here is my latest test:

SELECT all  TrnDt,
                SUBSTR(DIGITS((TRNDT+19000000)),1,4)
        ||'-'|| SUBSTR(DIGITS((TRNDT+19000000)),5,2)
        ||'-'|| SUBSTR(DIGITS((TRNDT+19000000)),7,2)
         as TranDate
  FROM    DJBTEST03/ARHSTS$DB

The results:

Position to line  . . .
....+....1....+....2.
    TRNDT  TRANDATE
104/06/15  0200-40-61
104/06/30  0200-40-63
104/06/21  0200-40-62

TRNDT is defined as 7 digits, 0 decimal, packed.

WHAT is going on here?  Is the DIGITS function coming up with a 9-digit
number from the (TRNDT+19000000) result?  Can I force the intermediate (?)
result to be 8 digits?

Can almost feel a solution...

db