Evan,
Thanks for your response.
I have looked at the use of MONSWABRM, but decided not to go that route. The
problem there lies in the limit in the SAVLIB command to 300 libraries. This
means that when you're running an ASP save (i.e. ASP01) where that ASP has in
excess of 300 libraries (say for example, 500 libs), BRMS actually cuts the
save into more than one section. So in my example, the first 300 libs get saved
on one command, the MONSWABRM command kicks in and then the next 200 libs get
saved on a second command.
Anyway, I digress. The main issue I had was with the reduction of the SWA wait
time. I played around with this more yesterday and found the key was in the
SAVCHGOBJ command default parameters. I changed the SAVCHGOBJ SAVACTWAIT
default parameter to 10 and when I ran the SAVLIBBRM command again, it only
waited 10 seconds for each locked object. The command I used for changing the
default parameter to 10 was:
CHGCMDDFT CMD(SAVCHGOBJ) NEWDFT('SAVACTWAIT(10)')
I take your point about 120 seconds not being an issue. The reason I'm trying
to reduce is because potentially I could have 100+ locks during the backup.
This would equate to 200 minutes worth of delays, prolonging the save to the
extent that it will overlap into the online day.... meaning more locks, more
delays and a very long backup! Of course by reducing the delay, we're likely to
increase the number of non saved objects, but that's a hit the developers are
prepared to take.
Thanks again for your help.
John

Message date : Jul 14 2004, 09:11 PM