I use journaling and commitment control extensively, but that's not the
presenting problem.  I already have a couple of major applications that
track activity from the journal receivers, SNDJRNE the ending position,
etc., so that's not new ground.  I just don't think it's the right approach,
and sooner or later I'm going to engineer the mission-critical
read-the-journal receiver processes away in favor of trigger programs.

I suggested a trigger program because extracting the changes from a journal
receiver requires a process (or "one more process") to read the journal
receiver entries, and IMHO that adds an additional (weak) layer in the
system while offering the possibility of some boneheaded programmer deleting
an unprocessed journal receiver.  Since I'm going to have the trigger
program overhead already, I'm going to add a little more function to it.

In most cases, only a few columns will be changes per record, and this
high-volume system (a logistics order management system feeding my
transportation management system) precludes saving complete record images.
The users want to see the changes to a specific column, not the whole
record, and if I have the details, I could reassemble a history from the
detailed changes I'll be trapping.

-rf