Hi, Reeve, I'm not sure this will help, I'm not even sure any of the CASE processing comes up for air, but here goes.

<http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/db2/permdebug.html> lists PTFs for V5R1 and V5R2 related to the *SOURCE debug view being made permanent. I've not tried the very intriguing kind of statement you've shown, so I don't know whether stepping through would show a different path for each branch of the CASE statement.

The other thing I'd look at is the STRDBMON command - this has a lot of information, including the statement used. It's no fun to work with - that's why we have a product that analyzes its output. But you can get a start with the info at <http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/db2/dbmonqrys.htm>. There's also a RedPaper called "Using AS/400 Database Monitor and Visual Explain To Identify and Tune SQL Queries" - try <www.redbooks.ibm.com> and dig around - I don't have the exact link.

HTH
Vern