Don't forget to add the ability to save libraries/"anything" to a CD/DVD
image

----------------------------
Bryan Dietz

Aktion Associates

midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 07/09/2004 10:46:02 AM:

-> What may be significant to me, may or may not be to you.  And some of
the
-> changes have nothing to do with utilities.  But I do remember walking
-> around the COMMON expo wondering how some of those people will market
-> their products in light of the upgrades available in V5R3.
->
-> Reorg while active is one of the biggest.  The 'pay' products marketing
-> appeal may be the journalling requirement.  Seems that most iSeries
-> developers love extra work and are loath to use anything built in like
-> journalling, commitment control, referential integrity, etc.  (Yet these

-> same people will knock Unix etc touting on how this is all built into
DB2
-> on the iSeries - strange.)
->
-> Some of the automatic tuning capabilities between lpars.  The 'pay'
-> products have lots of marketing appeal left.  I forget which is not
-> available free, (yet), but it might be memory.  And maybe timing too.
And
-> maybe not requiring an HMC.  Which, while quite useful, is definitely in

-> it's infancy.  I think it's biggest problem is that it started out on
-> pSeries and those people are used to taking sh!t and us iSeries folks
-> won't take it.  It's rapidly getting beaten into submission.
->
-> Some non utility enhancements that have me excited include that fact
that
-> the SQL preprocessor has been greatly enhanced.  It's not 100% yet but
-> it's nice just to see life pumped into it.  In some ways, it's ahead of
-> the RPG compiler.  Like the preprocessor has the capability to specify
the
-> target release.  Try to do that on a straight RPGLE compile in an H
spec.
->
-> I wish there was a nice summary of every manuals "How this has changed
in
-> this release".
->
->