Y'all - GENCMDDOC works from the command itself, plus the help PNLGRP if there is one already. Therefore, so long as you have a V5R3 machine, you can get the help text generated. You do not need the source. So, as in our case, we develop on V5R1 but have V5R3 on a test box. We can generate help for the commands, then put them back on the development box. Cool!

Vern

At 02:11 PM 7/8/2004, you wrote:

Hi Richard,

> We are looking for a good tool to automate some of the coding behind
> creating help text for CL commands and also green screen programs.

In V5R3, there's GENCMDDOC.

For previous releases, Carsten Flensburg wrote a GENCMDHLP utility that I
published in the Jan 15, 2004 issue of Club Tech iSeries Programming Tips
newsletter.  You can find Carsten's utility at the following link:
http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/clubtech/index.cfm?fuseaction=ShowNewsletterIssue&ID=17888

That link does require a membership to the iSeries Network -- but a free
("associate") membership will work.

In either case, they generate code for CL command help.  I don't have a
suggestion for green screen DSPF programs.

---
Scott Klement  http://www.scottklement.com