Hi Mike

Others may correct me but this is not my experience. It sounds as though your problem is more along the lines of your job description/user profile being set up less than optimally for this scenario.

If execute the CHGJOB command you will find a parameter INQMSGRPY; I normally run this with *RQD so that replies to inquiry messages are explicitly required. The other options available for this parameter are *DFT or *SYSRPYL. I suspect that your job is set to use one of these values judging by what you are reporting. The values will cause your job to automatically reply to inquiry messages using either the message default value or the value obtained from the system reply list.

This parameter is normally controlled by the INQMSGRPY value on the job description for your user profile but obviously can be overridden or changed as part of your initial program or by some other means like CHGJOB.

In the situation you describe I would have expected to have had to answer the message to continue the save but would have known what had occurred. It sounds as though this is what you want to occur.

Hope this helps

Regards
Evan Harris

When you choose the Messages *Notify, then the system takes 'G' for you for each tape volume. However, if there was some minor issue, such as a damaged object, the system does not save this D.O. However, it will issue a message to this effect at the end of the save process, something like not all objects saved'. It then pauses, and you can give it a 'G' if you are there, but if you chose *Notify as I did so you could go home, then the system decides to take a 'C', exit. THus, no DLO save is done, you have to do it yourself. This may seem obvious to those who do this all the time, but if you are not familiar, you may think that you have a FULL backup, when in fact, you are missing the DLO"s.

Mike