From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 11:05 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: Replacing a model 270 development machine

Hi All!

I'm in a little bit of a quandary here.  My development machine went
into the year-plus category, which means I have to pay a rather steep
maintenance fee.  I'm at the point of deciding what to do about
upgrading.  I'm at the point where the buyout on this machine is
relatively small, and that gives me the peace of mind of having an
older, reliable backup machine.  Throughout the years I have NEVER
managed a complete, clean transfer from one machine to another, for
whatever reason, and I like the idea of keeping the old clunker around.
(I like old clunkers.  I still have my original model 150.)

It's a model 270, and the only problems I've ever had with it are the
battery pack and the disk drives.  I replaced the battery pack myself,
and replacing a disk drive doesn't look like rocket science.  The
question is this: are there places to pick up disk drives for this
machine?  They show as four type 6717 model 074 drives (looks like about
6GB capacity) and one type 6717 model 070 (8GB).

Then I could gracefully let this one go off maintenance, and get a brand
new development machine.

Also, I haven't been following the prices too closely: what's a
reasonable replacement for a 370CPW Model 270?  What's the new
entry-level development box, and how much does it run?

Joe