Every program object on the iSeries can be called using the SQL call
command.

The only reason to go through the trouble of doing the CREATE PROCEDURE is
to let SQL know how to handle parameters.  Without an SQL procedure
definition it makes some assumptions about the parameters that may not be
correct.

Here's the relevant portion of the manual:

If the procedure-name identifies a procedure that was defined by a DECLARE
PROCEDURE statement, and the current server is a DB2 UDB for iSeries
server, then:
v The DECLARE PROCEDURE statement determines the name of the external
program, language, and calling convention.
v The attributes of the parameters of the procedure are defined by the
DECLARE PROCEDURE statement.

Otherwise:
v The current server determines the name of the external program, language,
and calling convention.
v If the current server is DB2 UDB for iSeries:
- The external program name is assumed to be the same as the external
procedure name.
- If the program attribute information associated with the program
identifies a recognizable language, then that language is used. Otherwise,
the language is assumed to be C.
- The calling convention is assumed to be GENERAL.
v The application requester assumes all parameters that are host variables
or
parameter markers are INOUT. All parameters that are not host variables are
assumed to be IN.
v The actual attributes of the parameters are determined by the current
server.
If the current server is a DB2 UDB for iSeries, the attributes of the
parameters will be the same as the attributes of the arguments specified on
the CALL statement. 45

HTH,
Charles