I'd look at the errors:

Profile QESDIAL did not become active. Operation not successful.

     Line QESLINE vary on failed.

I'm not sure what MSGID that first one is.  I did not find it in QCPFMSG.
Typically, that vary on failed message is a result of another line
description using the resource (vary on pending, active, etc.) however I
think it may be a result of the previous message.  Regardless, I would make
sure that nothing else is using that CMN resource.  WRKHDWRSC *CMN.  See if
anything else is using that line.  I'd also check the profile message and
see if the second level help text gives any indication.

             Mark Allen
             <mallen@xxxxxxxx>
             06/23/2004 12:38          Midrange Systems Technical
             PM                        Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems                                      Subject
                 Technical             RE: IBM ECS
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

2 numbers were listed for this, first one in data area good (a modem
answered when I dialed) 3rd one not, removed 2nd one still no go, after
dialing TR light on modem comes on that is all

Mark Allen
IS Manager
Wilkes Telephone & Electric
11 W. Court Street