Yeah, Mark, I was worried about long strings. I suggest what someone else mentioned - using one of the QMQRY-based utilities that lets you put in the whole string. One is EXCSQL (I think) at www.dbg400.net - there are others. Problem with what you list below is, there'll be an extra space, right, in the word "their"?

I personally resist RUNSQLSTM, since you can't do a SELECT with it. Also, you cannot use substitution variables, as you can with QMQRYs. Unfortunately, it's one statement per QMQRY.

A crazy idea - since the problem seems to be things that need to be broken up to 80-char length, maybe a QMQRY over the imported statements would help, using a QMFORM with a single column that wraps at word breaks - very cool feature of QMFORMs. You could OVRPRTF QPQXPRTF to a physical file, then use that in your RUNSQLSTM. The file that is used by RUNSQLSTM does not need to be a source PF, IIRC.

Or use REXX.    ;-)

HTH
Vern

At 09:17 PM 6/22/2004, you wrote:
> I look at "long, strung-out (unstructured) SQL statements" as
> an invitation
> to shoot one's self in the foot.

The statements giving me issues are exported from MySQL.
Any INSERT statement will likely be longer than 80 bytes though.

INSERT INTO X VALUES ('now is the time for all good men to come to the aid
of their country.')

...becomes something like....

INSERT INTO X VALUES ('now is the time for all good men to come to the aid
of th
eir country.')

It worked but I can't be doing 'that' all day.
The command should be more capable.

Mark Villa in Summerville SC