It depends.  <g>

In my limited experience in using triggers & journaling to essentially do
what you're attempting to do, I have found that journaling is the "better"
way to go, primarily for assuring that one doesn't bring an application to a
halt because of a problem with a trigger program.  Also, depending on
exactly what the trigger program does and the system it's running on, there
may be a performance tax.

If you go the journaling route, you can have a batch program that does a
"never-ending" RCVJRNE to process adds/changes/deletes almost
instantaneously.

Also, others may have more experience with this, but I believe that you
could have the journal set up on your remote system and just set it and
forget it (no third party software required).  Check out the *RMTJRN
commands.

HTH,
db