Hi, all:

This is a problem that seems to come up all the time with various databases
and query tools, etc., and not just on the iSeries or DB2, either!

Here is a simple "solution" that works on ANY platform, with ANY database,
with ANY query tool:

For those fields that contain "mixed case" and that you need to use as a
"key" or to be able to query against, create another field in the database
table that contains the same data, but is always translated to ALL
UPPERCASE. Then, when you need to do any of these kinds of queries, you
would use that field for the selection criteria, but use the original field
(with mixed case) for printing/display purposes.

This technique does require a little more storage space per row, but it
really simplifies query logic, and avoids some overhead of translating the
field to all uppercase dynamically during the query, etc., and also, if it
happens to be a "key" field (with an SQL index or logical file view over
it), this also ensures a more consistent sorting/collating sequence.

And, with "native" DB2 triggers, you can even take care of "maintaining"
this "extra" field automagically, "under the covers"... an *INSERT and
*UPDATE trigger can read the data from the original field(s), translate to
UPPERCASE, and populate the "new" fields. This means you do not have to
change any of the existing programs, except of course to recompile to avoid
level-checks, and you could even get away with LVLCHK(*NO) if you are
"careful" and always add all these new fields at the end of the record.

I like to think of this approach as one application of the KISS principle
;-)

Hope that helps?

Mark S. Waterbury