In trying to get a clearer understanding of some details about updating index
fields in a PF, I created the following test PF and test program:

--------------- Begin paste
PF:

     A          R TESTPFF
     A*
     A            PSATFG         1A
     A            PSSTCD         3P 0
     A          K PSSTCD

Program:

FTESTPF    uf   e           k disk

C                   read      TESTPF

C                   dow       not %eof

C                   add       1             PSSTCD

C                   update    TESTPFF
C                   read      TESTPF

C                   enddo
--------------- Begin paste

Both created with basic defaults on the CRTxxx commands on a fairly stable V5R1
system. There's nothing fancy about either; they're just pieces of stuff I had.
In short, the PF itself has a key field that's 3-digits packed. The program
reads in key sequence, adds 1 to the key field, updates the record and reads
the next.

I ran it multiple times, watching for differences between *IMMED, *DLY and
*REBLD access path maintenance and then differences between FRCRATIO() values
of 1, 2, 10 and *NONE.

The file had three records with the key values 1, 4 and 6.

So far, so good.

The surprise was that _every_ combination gave the same result -- every record
key had been changed to 0 (zero). I'm pretty sure I understand both the *IMMED
and *DLY results, but I'm not certain I understand what happened for
MAINT(*REBLD). I suppose the _good_ news is that the results were consistent.

Should the program have seen the changed index so that reading the next key
would get the changed record?

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta