Walden, you said:
That's where the confusion comes from though. I don't think it's the
same. If I had an AS/400 sitting here, it's an AS/400. When I bought an
iSeries it wasn't an AS/400, it was an iSeries. However, I think this is
different. If I buy a new 570, I'm buying an i5, but I think I'm buying
an iSeries i5, not just an i5. That is the new hardware is still
correctly called an iSeries.

You are correct.  An i5 with i5/OS is different from an iSeries or an
AS/400.   The i5 is still in the iSeries family along with the iSeries 8xx
models, etc.     Hope I didn't add to the confusion!

.....  Anne

*************************************
Have a blessed day!

Anne C Lucas, Customer Account Executive
Genisys Group Inc   http://www.teamggi.com

alucas@xxxxxxxxxxx
Office:  205-823-4831, Pager 800-223-3907
So Anne Lucas   (AOL Instant Msg)
*************************************

message: 1
date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:15:55 +0200
from: Philipp Rusch <philipp.rusch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Using IFS for Antivirus Updates to PC's ?

I have no WINS there and I "see" all clients in the dropdown list to
select them from.
Philipp

Walden H. Leverich schrieb:

>>Definitely not ! You don't need WINS to get Symantec Antivirus to do
>>that, I do it without WINS
>>at a customers site with all W2K and WinXP boxes, it does all fine.
>>

>You've gotten Client Rollout to work off a DNS server? The only way I've
>gotten it to "see" the machines for me to deploy to is WINS or by
>
>-Walden
>
>PS. I never said I _like_ WINS, just that I've found it's necessary in
>some cases.
>
>------------
>Walden H Leverich III
>President & CEO
>Tech Software
>(516) 627-3800 x11
>WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>http://www.TechSoftInc.com
>
>Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
>(Whatever is said in Latin seems profound.)

------------------------------

message: 2
date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:32:43 +0100
from: "Paul Tuohy" <tuohyp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Using IFS for Antivirus Updates to PC's ?

<snip>
> BTW, the QNTC subsystem wants a WINS server. And in my case Symantec's
> AntiVirus wants a WINS server to discover the network.
>
> -Walden
<end-snip>
I don't think this is true. I don't have a WINS server running and I can
see
all in the QNTC file system. All PCs are 2000 or XP.

Paul Tuohy

------------------------------

message: 3
date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:02:16 -0400
from: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Using IFS for Antivirus Updates to PC's ?

>I don't think this is true. I don't have a WINS server running and I
can see
>all in the QNTC file system. All PCs are 2000 or XP.

All on the same subnet? Perhaps it's resolving via broadcast. Then
again, things may have changed since last I played with it. But if it's
not using WINS, what is is using? DNS? And listing what, all machines in
the domain?

-Walden

------------
Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11
WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TechSoftInc.com

> BTW, the QNTC subsystem wants a WINS server. And in my case Symantec's
> AntiVirus wants a WINS server to discover the network.
>
> -Walden
<end-snip>
I don't think this is true. I don't have a WINS server running and I can
see
all in the QNTC file system. All PCs are 2000 or XP.

Paul Tuohy

list

------------------------------

message: 4
date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:11:35 -0400
from: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Clarify i5 vs. iSeries please

All,

Am I correct in my understanding that the "iSeries" name is _not_ going
away. The i5s are the "most recent member of the iSeries family"
according to the iSeries home page @ IBM.

So if I wanted to correctly refer to what one of those machine that we
all have that run 5250 applications could I still correctly call it an
iSeries?

-Walden

------------
Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11
WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TechSoftInc.com

------------------------------

message: 5
date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:18:45 -0400
from: michaelr_41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: Clarify i5 vs. iSeries please

Sure...just like there were/are AS/400s before iSeries.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:11:35 -0400, "Walden H. Leverich"
<WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> All,
>
> Am I correct in my understanding that the "iSeries" name is _not_ going
> away. The i5s are the "most recent member of the iSeries family"
> according to the iSeries home page @ IBM.
>
> So if I wanted to correctly refer to what one of those machine that we
> all have that run 5250 applications could I still correctly call it an
> iSeries?
>
> -Walden
>
> ------------
> Walden H Leverich III
> President & CEO
> Tech Software
> (516) 627-3800 x11
> WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.TechSoftInc.com
>
> Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
> (Whatever is said in Latin seems profound.)
>

> --
> list

  michaelr_41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

message: 6
date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:25:59 -0400
from: "Adam Lang" <aalang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Clarify i5 vs. iSeries please

Haha.  We still call ours an AS/400.  i5s are specifically the POWER 5
chip
based ones.
> Am I correct in my understanding that the "iSeries" name is _not_ going
> away. The i5s are the "most recent member of the iSeries family"
> according to the iSeries home page @ IBM.
>
> So if I wanted to correctly refer to what one of those machine that we
> all have that run 5250 applications could I still correctly call it an
> iSeries?
>
> -Walden
>
> ------------
> Walden H Leverich III
> President & CEO
> Tech Software
> (516) 627-3800 x11
> WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.TechSoftInc.com
>
> Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
> (Whatever is said in Latin seems profound.)
>

> --
list

------------------------------

message: 7
date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:29:28 -0400
from: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Clarify i5 vs. iSeries please

>Sure...just like there were/are AS/400s before iSeries.

That's where the confusion comes from though. I don't think it's the
same. If I had an AS/400 sitting here, it's an AS/400. When I bought an
iSeries it wasn't an AS/400, it was an iSeries. However, I think this is
different. If I buy a new 570, I'm buying an i5, but I think I'm buying
an iSeries i5, not just an i5. That is the new hardware is still
correctly called an iSeries.

-Walden

------------
Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO
Tech Software
(516) 627-3800 x11
WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.TechSoftInc.com

Sure...just like there were/are AS/400s before iSeries.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:11:35 -0400, "Walden H. Leverich"
<WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> All,
>
> Am I correct in my understanding that the "iSeries" name is _not_
going
> away. The i5s are the "most recent member of the iSeries family"
> according to the iSeries home page @ IBM.
>
> So if I wanted to correctly refer to what one of those machine that we
> all have that run 5250 applications could I still correctly call it an
> iSeries?
>
> -Walden
>
> ------------
> Walden H Leverich III
> President & CEO
> Tech Software
> (516) 627-3800 x11
> WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.TechSoftInc.com
>
> Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
> (Whatever is said in Latin seems profound.)
>

> --
> list

  michaelr_41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

list

------------------------------

message: 8
date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:42:04 -0400
from: michaelr_41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: RE: Clarify i5 vs. iSeries please

Hmmm...I don't think so. I think there are three different variants -
AS/400, iSeries, i5. 4 if you count the S/38.

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:29:28 -0400, "Walden H. Leverich"
<WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> >Sure...just like there were/are AS/400s before iSeries.
>
> That's where the confusion comes from though. I don't think it's the
> same. If I had an AS/400 sitting here, it's an AS/400. When I bought an
> iSeries it wasn't an AS/400, it was an iSeries. However, I think this is
> different. If I buy a new 570, I'm buying an i5, but I think I'm buying
> an iSeries i5, not just an i5. That is the new hardware is still
> correctly called an iSeries.
>
> -Walden
>
> ------------
> Walden H Leverich III
> President & CEO
> Tech Software
> (516) 627-3800 x11
> WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> http://www.TechSoftInc.com
>
> Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
> (Whatever is said in Latin seems profound.)

message: 9
date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:58:14 -0400
from: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: Clarify i5 vs. iSeries please

> I think there are three different variants...

That's what I thought at first, at that seems to be conventional wisdom,
but then why call the i5 "the most recent member of the iSeries family"
and more importantly, if all the new machines are eServer i5 machines
and NOT iSeries machines why is IBM wasting what little advertising $$$
is has on "iSeries mySeries" stuff. Shouldn't it be advertising "i5,
cool jive" or "i5, it's alive", or perhaps "i5, we strive" or some such
thing?

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President & CEO