Good suggestion, having an external method to stop and start the jobs is
much better then ending all the jobs (or subsystem) and re-starting

Thanks for the idea

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Liotta
Sent: Thursday, June 03, 2004 9:04 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Performance of batch vs other batch and interactive

Richard:

These jobs are doing a lot of work apparently. They're also directly
competing for memory and activity levels against all your other work
including interactive jobs, subsystem monitors, TCP/IP and host server jobs,
and who knows what else.

Most likely you'll never get a decent picture of what's really going on
(performance-wise) until you separate these things out. When I get to
choose, about the _only_ things I allow in the *BASE pool are subsystem
monitors and I put those elsewhere whenever reasonable. Otherwise, if you
watch characteristics such as faulting rates, how can you ever know what
function is causing the most?

But that's simple fundamental tuning. What your original question was could
be handled with a concept such as:

1. Create an object such as MYDTAARA.

2. In those ten jobs, have a sequence like:

 Nxt_Entry:
    alcobj obj((MYDTAARA *dtaara *shrrd)) wait(32767)
    dlcobj obj((MYDTAARA *dtaara *shrrd))

    call qrcvdtaq ( ... &nomax)
...process dtaq entry...
    goto Nxt_Entry

3. Now, each of the jobs will attempt to get a *SHRRD lock on the data area
(or whatever object you choose.) The jobs will wait for the lock some nine
hours if necessary. As soon as the lock is granted, it's released. The job
will then wait forever for a data queue entry. After processing an entry,
the lock is attempted again before going for another entry.

4. When you want the jobs to stop, from your workstation run:
 ===> alcobj obj((MYDTAARA *dtaara *EXCL)) wait(300)

5. When you want to let them go again, run:
 ===> dlcobj obj((MYDTAARA *dtaara *EXCL))

Actually, I don't know if that will work exactly as written; perhaps the
*SHRRD ought to be another status. I don't know if a *SHRRD will be granted
anyway if there's an outstanding *EXCL request pending; but the idea is to
have a fairly lightweight secondary control in the loop.

Perhaps a second "control" data queue for the jobs that can be tested with
zero wait-time each iteration. If an entry is found that says 'HOLD', the
jobs wait on an entry that says 'RELEASE' or 'END'. Your workstation job
would send appropriate command entries depending on what you wanted to
accomplish.

However the control is done, each of the ten jobs would do no more than
finish their current task before waiting until you let them go again.

With a simple external control in place, you could then spend some time
organizing your subsystems and pools (and routing entries and pre-start
entries and time-slices and whatever else comes along that needs attention).

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.