Hello,

> The problem I am facing is this:
> When I write the string into the IFS stream file, the IFS stream file
> has a width of 4099. After 4099 bytes, there is an end-of-line character
> denoted by a Carriage return and the rest of the data appears in the
> next line.
[SNIP]
> What I want to know is this:
> 1. How and where is this constraint of 4099 specified. The documentation
> of write( ) API does not specify any such constraint.
> 2. Is it possible to write the stream file without the carriage return
> at the end-of-line?

This is an RPG question, and belongs on the RPG400-L list.

There is no constrant on the write() API.  I regularly use it to write
data that's several megabytes in one call to write().  It also has never
inserted carriage returns or anything like that unless I specifically told
it to.

But, the code that you posted was doing some rather strange things, like
opening the file twice, never checking for errors, never putting any data
into the variable that you write, and more...

If you'd like to discuss what's wrong with your code, I suggest that you
post the message on the RPG list.  When you do, please make sure that you
post your prototypes for open() and write() rather than just the code that
uses them.

Really, posting on the right list is a good place to start...