Don wrote:
Well folks, I just got my plane tickets and hotel reservations.  See you
folks at CUDs!

Don in DC

Don brings up a good point - it's never to early to start planning your visit to Toronto.

First, I won't venture an opinion on the issue of staying at one of the "official" COMMON hotels. But I'll just say one thing: Probably the best way to really get to know the city of Toronto is to stay at a downtown "bed and breakfast". Those who've stayed at B&B's know they can offer very comfortable quiet accomodation, generally cheaper and more comfortable than a hotel. And the proprietors of B&B's are generally very friendly and helpful, and will give excellent advice on how to get around the city, where to shop, etc. While browsing, I found one B&B that even offers DSL internet access in each guest room!

Second, it's not to early to start thinking about entertainment after conference hours. For example, tickets to some of the more popular shows sell out months in advance. The current popular long term shows are "Hairspray" at the Princess of Wales Theatre and "Mamma Mia" at the Royal Alexandra, both within a short walk of the conference venue. (See <http://www.mirvish.com/>). Unfortunately, "The Producers" is scheduled to close in September. But they also put out a casting call for the show, so perhaps there's a chance it might get extended. (Early reviews were generally favorable, but the lead actor was not well received.)

For TV show tapings, in the past the Red Green show used the studio at the CBC Broadcast Center, across the street from the Conference Center, and will likely do so again this year (if they don't get cancelled!). Check <http://www.redgreen.com> in July for instructions on how to order tickets, which get snapped up well in advance. I can attest that that's lots of fun. In the past, they scheduled two tapings an evening on Wednesdays and Saturdays in the Fall. Wear a plaid flannel shirt, suspenders, and beard, and you might get picked for the closing scene in the lodge!

There are also a lot of smaller theaters (several hundred, in fact), and you can buy half-price tickets the day of the show at a booth on Dundas Square.

Finally, to get around the city, the best way is on foot. Many things are within walking distance of the Conference Center, such as the CN Tower, the SkyDome (Blue Jays, Argonauts), the Air Canada Centre (Maple Leafs, Raptors), the Hockey Hall of Fame, the entertainment district, the Eaton Center (shopping), the Art Gallery of Ontario, Chinatown, etc. For things further afield, use the subway and the streetcars. If you want to drive downtown, one piece of advice: Don't! I was downtown yesterday, and even on a Sunday, many downtown streets were crawling, jammed with cars!

For more information, check out the downtown transit map at <http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/ttc/pdf/downtown.pdf>. (Streetcar routes are numbered 500 and up.) You can also get a feel for the city at <http://www.boldts.net/Toronto.shtml>.

Cheers! Hans