On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 10:35, Marco Facchinetti wrote:
> But how to delete all the directories in /tmp/test without
> deleting test?
>
> The problem is with Infoprint server (no exit pgm), the
> risult is:
> /Pdf                            <-- Pdf home dir
> /Pdf/B000000123                 <-- Job dir
> /Pdf/B000000123/User            <-- User dir
> /Pdf/B000000123/User/File1.pdf  <-- Usable pdf
> /Pdf/B000000123/User/File2.pdf  <-- Usable pdf
> /Pdf/B000006666                 <-- Job dir
> /Pdf/B000006666/User            <-- User dir
> /Pdf/B000006666/User/File1.pdf  <-- Usable pdf
> /Pdf/B000006666/User/File2.pdf  <-- Usable pdf
>
> when I try to delete Bnnnnnnnnn I've got a CPFA0AC, if I
> delete all the object starting from the bottom it's working
> but....

Marco

QSH CMD('rm -rf /Pdf/*')

will remove all files *and* directories below /Pdf/ but will *leave*
/Pdf/ in place.

QSH CMD(rm -rf /Pdf')

would remove /Pdf and everything below it. Using James's example, you
use

QSH CMD('rm -r test/*')

to get rid of files below test, leaving test alone. By default the rm
command only removes files, not directories. Also deleting a directory
that isn't empty generates errors (as your CPFA0AC above). Using the -f
(force) option (as 'rm -r -f' or combined as 'rm -rf') will force
directories to be deleted along with files.

I have housekeeping routines that keep directories like this tidied up,
but leaving the most recent files alone:

QSH CMD('find /pdfs -atime +8 -print | xargs rm -rf')

which lists all files below /pdfs that haven't been accessed in the last
8 days and deletes them. There was a discussion on this technique on the
list a few days ago, which give a few more examples.

Regards, Martin
--
martin@xxxxxxxxxx  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net       /"\
DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities - AS/400 / iSeries Open        \ /