The following article appeared this morning on the insert "Flash Paper",
which is shipped with the monthly edition of The 3000 NewsWire, Independent
Information to Maximize Your HP 3000.

IBM made changes to try to attract more to the iSeries. In a product
renaming that evoked memories of HP adding an 'e' to the 3000, IBM rolled
out its two newest models of the iSeries line while it started calling the
server the eServer i5. The operating system which drives the latest servers
also got a renaming in the early May announcements
from Big Blue, when OS400 was rewritten and renamed i5 OS. Company
officials are working to attract more new business to the server that some
MPE experts say is the most similar value proposition to the HP 3000-MPE
combination.

The announcement came at the San Antonio meeting of the COMMON user group,
where promotional items like temporary tattoos helped customers flash their
loyalty. IBM said its most faithful customers could rally around the mantra
of "iSeries. My Series." Meanwhile, the servers will be able to run both
Unix and the native iSeries operating environments, a move that HP has
offered in its Superdoome servers for Unix, Windows and OpenVMS but held
back from
MPE/iX. A Virtualization Engine and the hottest CPU technology made their
debut on the I5, a rollout that IBM's general manager said would have gone
to the eServer's pSeries in years past - and proof that IBM will support
the iSeries for years to come. Even if it does have a different name.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390