Hey, Dave, I'm with you. Why take the easy way? And there's always something new!

I made a mistake - OBJAUD should be *ALL - *USRPRF means you also need to set up auditing in the user profile.

When set to *ALL, at least according to the help text, it says that READs and CHANGEs will have an entry added to the journal. This suggests to me that failed attempts to use the command (a READ, correct?) will be logged. But I've not verified this.

Good luck, whatever new thing you try!
Vern