not that this helps right now, but what you want is a sequence.

They are available in DB2 UDB for LUW, but not in iSeries until i5/OS
V5R3.

create sequence mine start with 1;

alter sequence mine restart;
select next value for mine, t.name from table t;

that would give you the results you are looking for