On Thursday 29 April 2004 20:34, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Thank you.
> Then I suppose the issue becomes auditing not only those owned by
> QSECOFR, but also those owned by any *ALLOBJ user profile.  Of course,
> any owned versus *USRPRF should be enough of a red flag.

At our place finding programs the *don't* adopt authority is the concern.
Our users belong to one group profile that has limited rights to the
system - only read access (if that) to files, etc. All the programs adopt
the authority of the profile that owns the files to allow updates etc.
That profile doesn't have any special authorities of its own, though.

Some years back the users' group profile & the data files' profile were
the same, which meant that any user with access outside our applications
could not only remove data but remove all the files too.

On the subject of profile swapping I remember another gotcha. In testing
the routine I switched to a very limited profile, then found I didn't
have the authority to release the profile handle and switch back to my
own profile. Still, at least it proved the role switch was pretty
complete. Since then I've stuck to adopted authority on profile switch
routines, as the handle is only used for a single task before releasiong
again.

Regards, Martin
--
martin@xxxxxxxxxx  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities     \ /