I stand corrected.  It has been a while.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

             "Alex Moore"
             <alexm@ellishosie
             ry.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  "'Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion'"
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             04/25/2004 01:09                                      Subject
             PM                        RE: Query 400: can an alpha field
                                       be converted to numeric?

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I believe digits converts numeric values to alpha.....however

This is from Ted Holt on Midrange Server:

I think SQL is a good way to go. Query/400 can read SQL views in the same
way it reads logical files.

The following SQL command creates a view that defines the alpha field
amount
as a nine-digit packed-decimal field with two decimal positions:

create view myview as
    select key, dec(amount,9,2) as amt from mydata

The following SQL commands convert alpha fields to numeric values:

select real(amount) from mydata
select double(amount) from mydata
select int(month) from mydata
select cast (amount as double) from mydata

Not only is this good for Query, you could use SQL statements like these in
RPG programs.

-- Ted

Alex

It's been a long time, but look for the "digits" function in Query.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

Users want to convert an alpha field (containing all numeric characters) to
a numeric field so they can do arithmetic operations.

Is there any way to do this in Query/400?

Any creative ideas how to do this?

Maybe using some of the date functions?