Tom,

Thanks for the ... eh ... "feedback"  <g>

Obviously, as I showed in the example I posted, I didn't want to clutter
the post with error handling, but just to demonstrate a solution to the
original question.  So you and I are on the same page; I just wanted to
know, well, maybe better stated, confirm that you did it that way for just
the reasons you stated.

ANYWAY, so here is the new thread on the FC.  This was my first foray into
the CEE world that will end up in a production environment.  As I looked
at the documentation for the CEEDAYS & CEEDATE APIs, I didn't find any
*good* information on the FC.

In my demo CL, I did a dump and the FC variable has a value of
X'0000000041C3C5C500000000' after a successful CEEDATE call.  The
X'C3C5C5' is 'CEE'

Don't have a lot of time to get into it now, but for those interested, it
appears that the IBM docs on the FC are in the ILE Concepts manual,
chapter "Exception and Condition Management", section "Condition
Handling".  The short of it seems to be is that, if the first 4 bytes of
the FC are hex zeros, then the CEE proc call was successful.  Other than
that, I haven't had time to dig in further, so if others are so inclined,
please report back here.  If someone has already invented this wheel,
please let us know.

GA