Further to Scotts input, I agree with the theory, but unfortunately the
iSeries (at least 5.1) does not seem to work that way.
Here is the scenario:

We have a PPP originators profile for dial-out to the remote system (we are
the client).
IP addresses (including DNS) are defined as dynamic

When the PPP connection is established, routes are automatically added to
the routing entries for the local and remote ends.
So far so good.
However the TCP negotiation phase also advises the iSeries of the remote DNS
which is on a different subnet.
Now I would have expected this also to be added automatically to the routing
entries, but it is not. Possibly a bug ?
We can get the remote DNS from the negotiation log, and then we tried to add
it with ADDTCPRTE
This is not allowed, with the error message:
Message . . . . :   Associated interface for NEXTHOP parameter value
  10.100.61.254 not found.
Cause . . . . . :   No interface was found that can be used by this route.
In
  order for an interface to be usable, the following must be true:
    -- The interface must be in the same logical network as the specified
next
  hop.  In order for an interface to be in the same network, the logical AND
  of the NEXTHOP parameter with the interface subnet mask must match the
  network ID of the interface.
Now the routing entry 10.100.61.254 DOES exist - this is the remote end,
dynamically allocated, and was added automatically during the TCP
negotiation.
But the DNS entry we were then trying to add is 10.100.62.0 (also tried
10.100.62.50 which is the actual DNS), and as this is a different subnet, so
ADDTCPRTE won't add it.

Unfortunately we don't know the DNS before the dial-up.
(By the way, Windows gets this right). I am still sure that the DNS entry
should be added automatically by TCP and this is a bug or ommission.
Otherwise whats the point in having the parameter in the PPP profile for
dynamically allocating DNS?

As a result the call to the remote host fails using the host name.

If we take a gamble and put a static route for 10.100.62.0 into the PPP
connection profile, this is added automatically on connection and the host
is found.
Hence (hope you are all still with us here :-) ), plan B was to try to get
the DNS entry into the PPP profile programmatically.
And thats the reason for the initial request - we can't find a way to
programmatically alter or add a PPP connection profile that will also add
the static route.

All this occurs because we don't the remote DNS prior to the call.

Hope at least some of this is clear(ish)

Regards

Ian Patterson
Grange Management Consultants
tel 01947 880458