From: Elvis Budimlic [mailto:ebudimlic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 11:56 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: SQL NULL return

Sudha, we've discussed the "not found" issue in the past:

Perhaps the solution is same/similar as the one found in that thread?
If not check this one out, though I doubt it'll help:

http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/Forums/Thread.cfm?CFApp=59&&Message_ID=134
324&
_#Message134324

If you have interactive SQL feature installed on your iSeries you should
have STRSQL command available (if not, license program is called SQL
Development Kit).
Type STRSQL -> CREATE TABLE -> F4 -> put the cursor under column "Nulls"
->
F1

This should give you help as to how NULLS are defined in SQL.  You'll
need
to adjust your UDTF to create the field null capable, or change your
program
logic not to generate nulls for those fields.

I'll paste the excerpt of the online help you'll see by doing the steps
above:

                              Nulls - Help

Select the null attribute to be used for the specified column.  The
possible choices are:

1=NULL
    Allows null values in the specified column (field).

2=NOT NULL
    Does not allow null values in the specified column (field), and no
    default is provided.

3=NOT NULL WITH DEFAULT
    Does not allow null values in the specified column (field), but
    provides the default for the data types shown below:

As for default values question, default value for DATE field is current
date.  If you allow nulls in the field, then you can pass in NULL.
Using
DDS (native file creation interface) you can specify other default
values,
but I am not sure SQL will let you do that.

Elvis