From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 11:54 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Indexing an SQL view

Rick

Can't be done. Mostly because a view is merely a container for an SQL
SELECT statement - no data. The idea with SQL is to create a view for the
data you want, and an index that matches that data, just in case the
optimizer can use it.

Since you also cannot index on expressions (substr, e.g., comes to mind), I
suggest creating a true logical file with the separate components as
substrings and key on those calculated fields. Then it should have a chance
at running faster.

An appropriate combination of native file types and SQL can be truly powerful.

Good luck, and let us know.
Vern