Been meaning to get back to this-un, also.

There's no direct connection between specifying field-level DDS in LF and
using a Field Reference file.  Just that shops that like the one approach
probably like the other.  (Moot point if you have code-generators doing
both, of course.)

Afaik, field level described LF won't cause any level checks (unless
changed).