This talk of the difference between DDS and SQL created access paths has
caused me to question long and deeply held beliefs when it came to database
design on the iseries.

When designing databases, i'd always tried to follow these few simple
guidelines (others may disagree with them, but let's not quibble over that
part - it's always worked pretty well for me).

1.  most physical files have a key, a unique one if appropriate.
2.  logical files were built for any access paths needed for inquiries, or
batch pgms that would be used daily or more (generally).
3.  everything else would be handled via opnqry.
3.  opnqryf would be used for record selection rather than creating a bunch
of single purpose logicals.
4.  if performance problems are a concern or are encountered, logicals are
created as indicated to help out.

How does the apparent superiority of SQL generated access paths change
these rules?

Would you make a point of replacing existing logicals with SQL indices
where possible?

Would you build SQL indices and views next to any logicals (or physical
keys) that can't be directly translated to SQL?

If not (or not always), why not and/or when?

and one more question...  Can you specify on an SQL view or index the
Access path maintenance  (MAINT keyword) or Access path recovery (RECOVER
keyword)?  If so, how?

Thanks,

Rick