Hi Zak,

> Before I dive into this, with your experience and knowledge in this
> area, would you say I'm heading into a tough battle here and should find
> existing code to somehow "retrieve" the mail item all sorted out, or is
> this a reasonable search-and-replace exercise?

I'm not completely sure what you're doing with the e-mail, so it's hard to
say whether it's going to be a "tough battle."

IMHO, decoding quoted-printable isn't that big of a deal...  just read
lines at a time from the file into a big buffer until one of the lines
does not end with =, or until the buffer is full.  Then, scan character by
character through the buffer looking for =, and when it's found, replace
with the appropriate value.  I'd do all of this in ASCII, and then
translate the whole buffer to EBCDIC in one go at the end w/iconv().

However, if you need to properly interpret and render the HTML code --
that's a horse of a different color.  THAT will be a tough battle that
you'll be fighting with for years.

However, if all you need to do is search the document for some data that
needs to be inputted into a database or something like that, then you
don't really need to know everything about the HTML, all you need to do is
know how to skip over it -- and in that case, I'd say that's reasonable.

Of course, those are just my opinions.  I don't really know all that much
about your capabilities, so I'm basing it on what I'm capable of.