On Sunday 21 March 2004 11:58 am, Joe Pluta wrote:
> > From: Narayanan R Pillai
> >
> > The equivalent for this case as an HTTP request is :
>
> http://servername:8080/sanjose/service/Repair?method=getRepairHeader&in1
> =B
>
> > TO&in0=123456
>
> Your request looks like a standard HTTP request.  From your post, I get
> the idea that the response is wrapped in a SOAP document and you have to
> parse out the value.

This is exactly the idea.

> It's evidently not quite that simple with WebSphere.  When I try your
> technique to access my web server, I get the phrase:
>
>       And now... Some Services

That message looked too familiar, so I looked at the response on my server
when I used a partial HTTP Request, ie
http://servername:8080/sanjose/services.

The response was a page that provided that exact message, along with a list of
services and links to individual WSDLs.

> With WebSphere, it looks like the request has to be wrapped in SOAP as
> well.  This means that I have to send an entire SOAP document (some 700
> bytes of overhead) and then get back another SOAP document and parse out
> the response.

I was firmly under the impression that web services MUST ( as in RFC2119 )
understand the SOAP HTTP GET without any further wrapping. I may have gotten
this wrong ( Serendipitously ).

This link http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part0/#L26854 might come in handy
though.

> It may depend on how you generate your web service.  I used type
> "RPC/Literal", which I had assumed would remove most of the wrapping,
> but I'm not sure.

The web service was generated with all default parameters and a look at the
wsdd gives the following for the method that I was talking about :

<service name="Repair" provider="java:RPC">

Pillai

ps : I found the Axis TCP Monitor ( org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon ) MOST
helpful during the initial development phase.

pps: would you consider running axis within Websphere, to have this
functionality ? :)