Telnet with SSL works very nicely on the AS/400.  I have tested it with
Client Access, Mocha and Nexus Mainframe Terminal.  Mocha and NMT also
have SSL enabled printer features that work very nicely.

You need to set up a certificate on the AS/400, which it then dishes out
to the client automagically.  You need to be able to get through to the
AS/400 on port 992 instead of port 23 like regular telnet.  So, you'd
have to open up that port on the firewall.  The problem with Client
Access is that you need to open up several other ports besides 23 or 992
to be able to connect.  CA does something special before even initiating
the telnet connection.

A decent VPN is probably more secure than SSL telnet, but SSL telnet at
least encrypts the traffic between host and client.

If you really wanted to get fancy, I assume that you could set up
certificates at both ends (as400 and pc) so that the host 400 wouldn't
just dish out a cert to anyone that comes knocking.  This would provide
an added level of security - only someone with the right cert installed
could get a connection.

If I recall, setting up the cert on the 400 wasn't a big deal.  The info
center had the step by step.  I managed to get it running in about a
half hour.