From: George Kinney [mailto:GKinney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2004 12:14 PM
To: 'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Trouble with ALTSEQ

This is got me stuck at the moment, most likely its just me, but I can't
sort this out.

I've got a file, with an index field that has values like:
01001
01002
etc

and is alphanumeric, so it goes:
09999
0A000
0A001

And this index needs to be read in a descending order (newest -> oldest).

Problem is the default sort order is :
0-9
A-Z

which leads to:
09999
09998
...many skipped
0A002
0A001

and needs to be:
0A002
0A001
0A000
09999
09998
etc.

I can't just drop the DESCEND keyword on the index, 'cause the newer numbers
will begin drifting towards the middle of the list, instead of the top.

I found the ALTSEQ keyword, figured it fit the bill, and created a *SRTSEQ
table, changed the sort weights to put the 0-9 characters after the A-Z
chars, and rebuilt the file. (crtpf file(test) srcfile(qddssrc)
srtseq(*src))

And it didn't matter. The index is still in the same order.

Arrrgh!

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?  Am I missing a step? Completely
off base?