Jeff,

That's news to me.  The IBM KB doesn't mention it:

There is no guarantee that printers that support Remote Output Queues
(RMTOUTQs) will also support IPP (or vice versa). In order for a *LAN IPP
device description to work, the following hardware requirements must be met:

1 The internal network interface card (NIC) or external print server must
support the Internet Print Protocol (IPP).
2 The internal network interface card (NIC) or external print server must be
at a firmware or microcode level that supports IPP printing.
3 If the printer is connected to an external network adapter, it must be
connected using an IEEE 1284, bi-directional printer cable, and the print
server must be in BITRONICS, BI-DIRECTIONAL or ECP/MLC mode
A number of printers and printer servers from a variety of manufacturers
support IPP, including certain models of IBM Infoprint printers, HP
JetDirect print servers, and Lexmark Marknet printer servers. For a complete
list of values for the RMTLOCNAME parameter for various print servers,
please refer to the following document:

Wonder if it was maybe requirement #3 above.

Charles