I have to go along with Scott Klement's firewall/proxy theory.

Here is a session from my V5R2 to another V5R2:

> syst

  215  OS/400 is the remote operating system. The TCP/IP version is
"V5R2M0".
> quote rcmd dsplibl output(*print)

  250 Command dsplibl output(*print) successful.

> quote time 500

  250 Inactivity time-out set to 500 seconds.

> quote rcmd blah

  550-Error occurred on command blah.

  550 Error found on BLAH command..

When I do the invalid "blah" command, I don't get "syntax error". That means
the error you are seeing is not the standard error from OS/400 (I assure you
I have no exits or customization on my server side).

The reason some of your other commands are working, the reason your HELP and
SYST commands are working is because these are commands that more prevalent,
i.e. the firewall/proxy config probably knows those commands because iSeries
is not the only box that implements them. RCMD is unique as far as I know.

Perhaps that RCMD is something that could be configured by the networking or
security guys on the other side. You ought to tell them you need to send
"quote rcmd ..." and see if they can allow it.

You have also pretty much proven Scott's theory yourself, with the test in
which you telnet to the machine, then FTP to 127.0.0.1 and the commands
work. Your telnet session is going through the firewall, but not your FTP
session, and the commands work. This shows that if the RCMD and TIME
commands can get to the OS/400 FTP server, it will accept them.

-Marty