The trusted translator will not generate untrusted code from "hacked"
creation templates. So while it is possible to change the behavior of a
program by only having the creation data, it is not possible to change it
so that it bypasses system integrity and therefore poses no more (or less)
of a threat than any other program you choose to restore to your system.

You don't have to always run your system at option "7" either. One of the
great uses for this is when installing software from a vendor that you
perhaps have not installed before. If the vendor is not hacking the binary
code, then the code will work correctly even if everything is retranslated.
If the vendor doesn't tell you they patch code or tells you they don't
patch code, turning on option 7 when you install their application the
first time will prove whether or not they have. If you have vendor software
that you've used for years and trust, you might not bother to set the value
to "7" when installing new versions of that application. Or you might
install the new version on a test system with option "7", do your testing,
and then install it to a production system that has a more relaxed setting.

Should you allow vendor code that includes patched programs on your system?
Well, that's up to you. Your risk of unplanned downtime and unavailable
applications grows pretty large if you do...user beware. It costs a lot of
money to determine that a prolem is related to patched vendor code.

There is great potential value for customers (or a subset thereof) using
option "7" at least some of the time. However, you're not forced to use it.

Patrick Botz
Senior Technical Staff Member
eServer Security Architect
(507) 253-0917, T/L 553-0917
email: botz@xxxxxxxxxx

             "James H H
             Lampert"
             <jamesl@xxxxxxxxx                                          To
             om>                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange-l-bounce
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                        Subject
                                       RE: QFRCCVNRST

             02/26/2004 04:59
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion

> This is why the split up of observable data between debug & creation
> data was introduced, along with the ability to remove these
> observabilities individually.
>
> QFRCCVNRST can cause the recreation of the "executable" from the
> creation data. IBM forewarned of this a few releases ago, I think in the
> Memo to Users.
>
> If you are still creating programs on or for an old release (V2R3 IIRC)
> then these won't have the observability split up.

Seems to me that, considering as how (I'm told) it's POSSIBLE to
disassemble even a totally non-observable *PGM, creation data would be as
big a hole in proprietary commercial code security as debug data.

--
JHHL