From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Urbanek, Marty
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 11:02 AM
To: 'midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: New system CCSID recommendation

Mark,

We and some of our customers have seen some problems with using 65535 when
we started getting more into java applications and database connectivity,
which tend to do a lot with unicode and other character conversions to/from.

The IBM response has been "You should not be using 65535".

My response to that is "It was your default".

In any case, if you are starting from scratch, I recommend something like
037 (assuming you want US English). It will be much scarier to change the
CCSID sometime down the road when you have been using 65535 for years and
have a bunch of applications working great and you don't want to risk
breaking them.

My two cents.

-Marty