Clare,
the model 150 was delivered with V4R1 at least and up to V4R3, I think
There is a label with a part no. on the cable that connects to the serial connector
of the ops console connector, let us know that number, please.
Did you install the "client access modem" for your windows DUN ?

Regards from Germany, Philipp

Urbanek, Marty schrieb:

Clare,

After the experience I had, I am definitely not the guy you should ask! But
since you did...

I think there were two kinds, one called Ops Console and one called Async
Console (something like that). I think that one of them used a card so you
could have a remote control panel. They had different cables. My point being
- make sure you know which of the two you are trying to do and that you have
the proper cable. The one I had did not have the control panel function, did
not use a special card, and cable number 97H7557 (0367). I think the name of
the one I used was Ops Console (the names always confused me because they
both used an async port).

I believe I ran this with NT 4 and then Win2K. I bet I was on V4R1 when I
started with the 150 so I don't know about V3R7.

I don't know if it will care about the system name. I doubt it. I bet that
name is only used on the client side.

I think it wants the DST password to connect the console, as opposed to
OS/400 QSECOFR password.

I recall it being fairly touchy about the release of OS/400 versus the
release of Client Access, so try to use one pretty close. At least not V5
because that is when they made those long passwords I think. If I was you, I
would junk the Win95 and try it with a Win2K with CA V4R5 Ops Console. I
can't imagine RAS would work very well on Win95.

Make sure you have the right serial port and port on the 150, if possible.

Then boot the PC and start your Ops Console and tell it to connect, so it is
sitting there with a black 5250 screen. Then power up the 150. Then if it
works, after about one month of Sundays (maybe 15-20 min) it will prompt for
a userid/password.

That is about all I remember.

-Marty

------------------------------

date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:24:10 -0000
from: "Clare Holtham" <Clare.Holtham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: 150 and Operations Console

Marty,

I'm trying to get a 150 working with ops console. So far I haven't
succeeded. The 150 was a free gift from someone who hasn't used it since
2000. I don't know which version of OS/400 it has on it - V3R7 or V4?? I
have tried putting an old version of Client Access or Personal
Communications on an old laptop with Windows 95 and 16Mb memory (which meets
the requirements apparently), I've configured the virtual modem and
downloaded DUN as  requested, but they still aren't talking. I'm just trying
to do a simple set up with the direct cable from the serial port of the PC
into the back of the AS/400. When I try to connect the log file shows
'caller's buffer too small', and I tried changing the 'modem' speed down to
9600 then 4800, still no joy.
Any ideas anyone??
Of course, I don't know the system name, or if it will be looking for a
particular previously configured PC name, or QSECOFR password, but I figured
I could sign on with DST and reset that.
Also I only have instructions for later versions - was the 150 different??
Many thanks for any light you can cast,

cheers,

Clare

Clare Holtham
Director, Small Blue Ltd - Archiving for BPCS