> From: Steven DONNELLAN
>
> After well over a year watching day time television and Resume
printing,
> I've had a phone call from a 'friend of a friend' who wants my AS/400
> skills.  They have a model 170 on V5R2, and they are putting some JAVA
> applications on it.  Trouble is, they are not happy with the
> performance, and I'm not happy with my knowledge of Java.  All I want
> know, is this a simple(?) performance tuning mission, or would the
> configuration of AS/400 always struggle with JAVA?  At this stage I
know
> very little of what the applications are supposed to do, and know too
> little about JAVA to ask the 'right' questions.
> With apologies to those of you who believe this should be on the
JAVA400
> list, but at this stage I don't think it would be worth me joining the
> list.

Actually, it probably would be worth joining the list, Steve, since
there's not a ton of traffic on it (I know, I moderate it <grin>).

However, to answer your question quickly, the Model 170, especially the
smaller editions, are minimally usable boxes for Java.  If for any
reason the folks can jump up to a Model 270, performance is dramatically
increased.  The more main memory you can add the better.

It's not impossible to run Java applications on smaller boxes, I
actually ran WebSphere on a Model 150, so Java will run on smaller
boxes, but performance is greatly reduced.  For any more information,
you really need to go to the JAVA400-L list, and you'll need to know a
little more about your application.

Joe