Here is some things from the Software Knowledge base - found at the improved search site at iSeries Support by searching on the message ID:

New Data Source Cannot Be Created Within Microsoft Query 8 and 2000

Problem: This is a problem which occurs with the Express Client when the connection option for the system has been set to always prompt for a user ID and password. If you then attempt to create a new DSN from within Microsoft Query, it will fail with one of the following error messages depending on the Express service pack applied:

'Communication link failure RC=0015, CWBSY1006 - User ID is invalid'
or
'Communications link failure. Comm RC=4 - CWB0999 - Unexpected error: unexpected return code 4'

Cause: What is happening is that Microsoft Query is making two connections. The first time they connect they use the SQL_DriverConnect function setting the connectOption parameter to SQL_DRIVER_PROMPT allowing the ODBC driver to prompt the user for a valid user ID and password. They then make a second connection using the output connection string from the first connection as the input connection string on the second SQL_DriverConnect call. On this second call the connectOption parameter is set to SQL_DRIVER_NOPROMPT which does not allow our driver to prompt for a user ID or password. The Client Access ODBC driver does not provide the UID or PWD parameters in the output connection string so this second connection will fail if the user ID and password cache are not available (any time the connection is to prompt every time).

Resolution: The choice to not supply the user ID and password on the output connection string is an intentional design choice to prevent putting the user ID and password into logs and traces. Therefore, this is a permanent design restriction in this environment. A user would need to either create the DSN outside of Microsoft Query using the ODBC Administrator or they can set the connection option to one of the options other than prompting every time.

Don't know if this fits your situation. The entire document is at
<http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas1a114d9c8de3d637f86256621005de5ee&rs=110>.

Another item in the search results is a V4R4 PTF SF65706, see
http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.NSF/1be1a5b61b213a6c86256c23007048f4/00c548e9910530218625689600420fbf

PTF SF62213 for V4R5 has some instructions for this problem in the cover letter. Similarly, SF63193 for V4R4.

Vern