We are using 7 integrated netfinity servers on one of our iSeries.  That
same iSeries is also using Tivoli Storage Manager to backup a vast
majority of our PC's in the corporation.  The tech people use the product
for doing PC restores and they seem quite happy about it.  This same
iSeries is also running several eleven Domino partition's (not to be
confused with LPAR's).  Yet we still have racks full of other Wintel
servers, (of which their backups are primarily done with the iSeries based
TSM).

Is that the kind of situation you were talking about?

Most of our networking issues are handled by the "cisco kid".  Him, and
his cohort, are pretty good.  They're iSeries aware enough to know where
the problem usually is.  Occasionally I have to give them a little nudge.
They can mess around with CFGTCP a little.

How much networking you need to know depends on several factors.
  How big is your shop and thus your dishing out of duties.
  Are you going into networking in a big way, and perhaps willing to
sacrifice devoting that continuing ed on other stuff, (like latest
programming techniques).
  Need to know just enough to be able to know when the networking people
might be going down the wrong road.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Rob Phillips <niceguy420l@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
01/21/2004 12:05 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Looking for System Admin resource center

HI - I am interested in improving my AS/400 Network Admin skills. I would
like to know about any books reccommended/for sale, or web sites. I am
interested in hearing about large sites and network situations (Typical)
issues and problems. I have been in a mixed environment, but never
understood fully how resources are shared, how for example,

an AS/400 that I monitored, occassionally if it went down or was degraded
in some way (power outage but not only that), it would affect a SQL Server
somewhere else in the room.

Also how to also fully utilize the AS/400 in a mixed environment. For
example, to have the AS/400 involved in backups, email, etc... Is this
done/worthwhile? I was in a shop where there was a push to load the NT
Servers onto the AS/400. It sounded like a good idea to me, but not to the
NT Admin. The CIO didn't like it either. OK but in a shop that is more
predominantly AS/400 would this be a better idea, why?

So many questions, hope they are interesting at least,
Thanks,
Rob