Jim,

At 1/2/04 11:22 AM, you wrote:
You are correct that much of the performance wisdom that was applicable and widely popular many years ago is moot today. Advances in hardware (both in speed and architecture) and the newer compilers have changed the playing field.

If I were still managing developers these days I'd still avoid the cycle.
The cycle is powerful, but I think it's better suited to the days when
development environments could be AS/400 shops or RPG shops.

I'm not following that logic. Unless you specify NOMAIN, the cycle is built into every RPG program. Coding around it is a stylistic choice. If you understand the language there's no reason that you can't use the cycle to improve readability of the program.

It seems odd to me that "everyone" is ga-ga over (set-at-a-time) SQL, which is basically mini program with its own cycle, yet can't wrap their brains around the RPG cycle!

These days it's hard to find a single-platform environment. When you've got developers
moving from platform to platform I think it's better to expose the database
processing logic in the code than to depend on discrete characteristics of
the compiler.

Every compiler (and language interpreter) on each platform has its own unique characteristics, so you may as well use the strengths of each language (within reason, so no flames about writing everything in MI or Assembler.) Obviously if you are coding to multiple platforms your coding decisions will be different. But to automatically code to the lowest common denominator is counterproductive, IMHO.

I don't understand how using multiple platforms would influence your decision whether to use the cycle or not. If you are using RPG in the first place, multi-platform compatibility is not your first worry, since RPG is only truly compatible to the IBM Midrange.

-mark

-mark