From: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Date: 01/01/04 20:18:08
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Work product (was RE: Midrange Knowledge test)

Booth:

'Working on your own stuff', using employers' equipment, etc., is a separate
question and should be discouraged without permission.

My thoughts were more along the lines of basic business programming -- order
entry, shipping, etc., where the programming is not intended as a marketable
product. If the employer is in the business of selling order entry programs,
then it's essentially guaranteed that the programming belongs exclusively to
the employer.

But if the company is in the business of selling kitchen clocks or cat toys
or bicycle seats, the order entry program isn't marketable. It isn't what
the company sells.

As an addition to your portfolio of sample code for a new employer, there's
no conflict. Such work product is commonly shared with non-exclusive rights
by employer and employee.

Obviously, if a contract had been signed to the contrary, the question is
mostly settled, though the courts would have final say and I suspect that a
challenge by the author would be upheld. Anyway, in the two cases where I
was presented with such a contract as a condition of employment, I said "No
way, not without these changes" and the contract was adjusted without
problem.

My experience has been that the relevant clauses in the contracts are
primarily "standard" clauses that almost nobody worries about. (Again, this
is aside from software houses.) Rational changes should be easy to effect.

And personal opinion, if there's resistance to making such changes, the
company is probably trouble as an employer.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.